Smith came to prominence with the low-budget comedy film Clerks (1994), which he wrote, directed, co-produced, and acted in as the character Silent Bob. Jay and Silent Bob have appeared in most of Smith’s films including Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. While not strictly sequential, the films frequently featured crossover plot elements, character references, and a shared canon described by fans as the “View Askewniverse“.
Smith is married to Jennifer Schwalbach Smith, whom he met while she was interviewing him for USA Today. They got married at Skywalker Ranch on April 25, 1999.Their daughter, Harley Quinn Smith, was born June 26, 1999, and was named after the character from the Batman comics.
In 1999, Smith wrote “Guardian Devil“, an eight-issue story arc of Daredevil for Marvel Comics, which was illustrated by Joe Quesada. Kevin Smith followed this by producing a 15-issue tenure on Green Arrow for DC Comics that saw the return of Oliver Queen from the dead. Smith returned to Marvel for two mini-series: Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do and Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target, both of which debuted in 2002.
His love of comics lead Smith to owning and operating Jay and Silent Bob’s Secret Stash in Red Bank, New Jersey, a comic book store largely dedicated to merchandise related to his films and comics. He also appears in and produces the reality television series Comic Book Men with longtime friends Walt Flanagan and Brian Johnson, which is set inside Jay and Silent Bob’s Secret Stash and premiered on February 12, 2012.
On February 5, 2007, Smith and Scott Mosier began SModcast, a regular comedy podcast. SModcast has since spawned into a podcast network called the SModcast Network which began in 2010. Smodcast has been nominated for several awards, and has gained a great deal of recognition from various sources. In 2007, the podcast was named one of the best new podcasts by iTunes.
Smith has appeared in five Q&A documentaries, his longest live Q&A session took place April 2, 2005, at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey. The sold-out event was over seven hours long. Following the Q&A, he opened Jay and Silent Bob’s Secret Stash for a meet-and-greet with the numerous remaining audience members, which ended around 6:30 am. Smith then hopped on a plane and did another Q&A in Illinois that night. Planned for two hours, it lasted just over five hours, ending a little after 1 am Central time.
In January 2016, during the Television Critics Association press tour, it was announced that Smith would direct an episode of The Flash, which premiered in May 2016. Also in January, it was revealed that Smith wrapped production on a half-hour comedy series, Hollyweed. In February 2016, it was revealed that Smith would team with AMC to co-host a late night talk show with Greg Grunberg titled Geeking Out which premiered in July 2016, covering San Diego Comic-Con with 8 subsequent episodes running weekly.
- Silent Bob Speaks (2005)
- My Boring Ass Life: The Uncomfortably Candid Diary of Kevin Smith (2007)
- Shootin’ the Sh*t with Kevin Smith (2009)
- Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good (2012)
- Jay and Silent Bob’s Blueprints For Destroying Everything (2014)
- Chasing Dogma (with Duncan Fegredo, Oni Press, 1998–1999)
- Daredevil: Guardian Devil (with Joe Quesada, Marvel Comics, 1998–1999)
- Bluntman & Chronic (with Michael Avon Oeming and Neil Vokes, Image Comics, 2001)
- Green Arrow: Quiver (with Phil Hester, DC Comics, 2001–2002)
- Green Arrow: Sounds of Violence (with Phil Hester, DC Comics, 2002)
- Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil that Men Do (with Terry Dodson, Marvel Comics, 2002, 2005–2006)
- Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target (with Glenn Fabry, Marvel Comics, 2003)
- Batman: Cacophony (with Walt Flanagan, DC Comics, 2008–2009)
- Batman: The Widening Gyre (with Walt Flanagan, DC Comics, 2009–2010)
- Green Hornet (with Jonathan Lau, Dynamite Entertainment, 2010)
- The Bionic Man (with Jonathan Lau, Phil Hester, Dynamite Entertainment, 2011–2012)
- Batman ’66 Meets the Green Hornet (with Ty Templeton, DC Comics/Dynamite Entertainment, 2014)
- Batman: Bellicosity (with Walt Flanagan, DC Comics, TBA) *Still in planning*
- Clerks (1994)
- Mallrats (1995)
- Chasing Amy (1997)
- Dogma (1999)
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)
- Jersey Girl (2004)
- Clerks II (2006)
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008)
- Cop Out (2010)
- Red State (2011)
- Tusk (2014)
- Holidays (2016)
- Yoga Hosers (2016)
DAREDEVIL GAURDIAN DEVIL IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON